Founded in 1848 in London as The Prudential, Prudential Is now a multinational insurance and financial services company with worldwide presence. Prudential established a presence here in Singapore in 1924, is now formally known as the Prudential Assurance Company Singapore Private Limited, and is wholly owned by the London headquarters.
What you should know about Prudential
- View their policy or personal Information
- View or print their annual premium summary
- Update their contact details
- Perform eligible online transactions
- Generate revised benefit illustration
- View and download e-Documents
Prudential Health Insurance Plans
Prudential PRUShield Plan Types
|PRUDENTIAL PRUSHIELD PLANS||HOSPITAL WARDS||ANNUAL COVERAGE LIMIT|
|Prudential PRUShield Premier||Singapore Private Hospitals||S$1,200,000|
|Prudential PRUShield Plus||Singapore Restructured Hospital (Class A Ward)||S$600,000|
|Prudential PRUShield Standard||Singapore Restructured Hospital (Class B1 Ward)||S$150,000|
What is Prudential PRUShield?
Prudential PRUShield is an Integrated Shield Plan (IP) offered by Prudential Singapore. There are 3 different plan types, namely the Premier for access to private and public hospitals, Plus for access to class A wards and below in public restructured hospitals, and Standard for class B1 wards and below in public restructured hospitals. PRUShield is an affordable option for young individuals who are of good health and looking for competitive coverage. PRUShield also offers some riders that can reduce your out-of-pocket expenses if you do get hospitalised. All riders cap your out-of-pocket costs at $3,000 per policy year.
This is the most basic coverage for medical and surgical expenses at restructured hospitals. You'll need to pay for two things - the "Deductible" which is a fixed amount to be paid by a policyowner before the MediShield Life and PRUShield benefits are payable, and the "Co-insurance" which is a percentage of the claimable amount that a policyowner needs to co-pay after the "Deductible".
A step up from PRUShield Standard, PRUShield Plus offers you 2 riders to choose from.
- PRUExtra Plus CoPay: Covers 95% of your deductible and half of your co-insurance if you go to a hospital on the Prudential panel. It is priced at $246* annually.
- PRUExtra Plus Lite CoPay: Covers 50% of your deductibles (up to S$1,750 per policy year) and half of your Co-Insurance if you go to a hospital on their panel. It is priced at $148* annually.
*Premiums are based on age-next birthday 35.
If you don’t mind going to a panel hospital, it’s a no-brainer to pick PRUExtra Preferred CoPay as it’s the most cost-effective rider. Do note the premiums of these riders may rise depending on your past claims, and that you must pay for them in cash (not Medisave).
There are 3 types of optional riders you can add on to your PRUShield Premier plan.
- PRUExtra Premier CoPay: Covers 95% of your deductible and half of your co-insurance at ALL Singapore private hospitals. Yearly renewal is subject to Claims-based pricing and policyholders enjoy access to PRUPanel Connect. It is priced at $717* ($573.60 with 20% PRUWell Reward) annually.
- PRUExtra Preferred CoPay: Covers 95% of your deductible and half of your co-insurance if you go to a hospital on the Prudential panel. Yearly renewal is subject to Claims-based pricing and policyholders enjoy access to PRUPanel Connect. It is priced at $502* ($401.60 with 20% PRUWell Reward) annually.
- PRUExtra Premier Lite CoPay: Covers 50% of your deductible (up to S$1,750 per policy year) and half of your co-insurance if you go to a hospital on the Prudential Panel. It is priced at $270* annually.
Why Prudential PRUShield?
Compare health insurance plans now
Prudential PRUShield Exclusions
Confinement in Community Hospital
- While your PRUShield insurance plan may offer you full "As Charged" coverage for community hospital stays, do note that your stay will only be claimable upon referral to the community hospital from your main inpatient hospital stay's doctor. You will also have to be directly transferred from your inpatient hospitalisation stay to the community hospital.
Stem Cell Transplant Treatment
- While your PRUShield plan may indicate "As Charged" coverage for stem cell transplant treatments, do note the your treatment will only claimable if you are undergoing stem cell transplant treatment because of Leukaemia, Thalassemia Major and Lymphoma after not responding to other treatments such as chemotherapy, radiotherapy or surgery.
Overseas Medical Treatment
- As with all Integrated Shield Plans (IPs) available on the market right now, the overseas medical treatment benefit is only claimable if you were caught in an emergency life-or-death medical situation abroad. You will have to seek treatment at a pre-authorised hospital or medical provider wherever you are worldwide. This benefit does not include emergency medical evacuation or repatriation. If claimable, you will only receive the local hospitals' equivalent of the hospitalisation and treatments' prices.
- Post-hospitalisation treatments' coverage excludes all alternative medicine modalities, such as Traditional Chinese Medicine, Chiropractic, and Osteopathic treatments.
Outpatient Cancer Treatments
- Outpatient cancer treatment benefits excludes newer modalities such as Cell, Tissue, and Gene Therapy, and Proton Beam Therapy.
Short Stay Ward
- You have to stay in the hospitalisation ward for a minimum of 8 hours in order to have your short hospitalisation claimable.
- The living organ transplant or organ donation benefit only covers the kidney and/ or liver.
- All PRUShield plans do not cover any pre-existing medical conditions you have been diagnosed with prior to your policy start date unless declared, stated, and specifically accepted by Prudential.
- All PRUShield plans do not cover any form of medical expenses related to COVID-19, or any travellers who have travelled out of Singapore and may be at risk of COVID-19 after 27 March 2020.
Prudential PRUShield Summary
PRUShield is Prudential's flagship health and hospitalisation insurance plan, and is an Integrated Shield Plan (IP) meant to supplement Singaporeans and Permanent Residents' (PRs) MediShield Life health insurance plan provided by Singapore's Ministry of Health.
PRUShield increases your annual coverage limit up to S$1.2 million for hospitalisation and medical treatment expenses such as surgeries, organ transplant, outpatient chemotherapy, radiotherapy, immunotherapy, kidney dialysis treatments. Other benefits include 180 days pre-hospitalisation coverage, 365 post-hospitalisation coverage, pregnancy complications (for female individuals), coverage for short stay wards, day surgeries, and community hospital stays.
It has one of the most affordable annual premiums for private hospital plans with competitive benefits.
All Prudential Health Insurance Plans
PRUShield is Prudential's flagship health and hospitalisation insurance plan, and is an Integrated Shield Plan (IP) meant to supplement Singaporeans and Permanent Residents' (PRs) MediShield Life health insurance plan provided by Singapore's Ministry of Health. PRUShield increases your annual coverage limit up to S$1.2 million for hospitalisation and medical treatment expenses such as surgeries, organ transplant, outpatient chemotherapy, radiotherapy, immunotherapy, kidney dialysis treatments, offers 180 days pre-hospitalisation coverage, 365 post-hospitalisation coverage, and extends the range of wards you can be admitted to (up to standard wards in private hospitals, depending on your plan). Other benefits include pregnancy complications (for female individuals), coverage for short stay wards, day surgeries, and community hospital stays.
Prudential offers 3 types of optional add-on riders to complement PRUShield Premier health insurance plan, namely the PRUExtra Premier CoPay, PRUExtra Preferred CoPay, and the PRUExtra Premier Lite CoPay to lower your co-insurance from 10% to the mandatory 5%, offer you a 20% PRUWell Reward on your PRUExtra premiums, grants you access to the PRUPanel Connect medical concierge, Letter of Guarantee (LOGs) and pre-authorisation letters for hospitalisations, and transport reimbursements. All riders differ in the range of private and public hospitals you can visit in the event of a medical emergency.
What types of insurance does Prudential offer?
Prudential Singapore offers 12 categories of insurance policies for individuals, businesses, and expats, spanning health and an Integrated Shield Plan (IP), personal accident, critical illness, disability, life, home, retirement, education, savings and investment, group insurance plans for businesses, and international health insurance plans for expats.
Types of Insurance offered by Prudential
The PRUShield health insurance plan is Prudential's flagship Integrated Shield Plan (IP) meant to complement Singaporeans and Permanent Residents' (PRs) MediSheild Life health insurance plan provided by Singapore's Ministry of Health. An IP like the PRUShield serves to extend the medical, hospitalisation ward, and other illnesses' benefits and claim limits beyond the standard offerings of the MediShield Life. Prudential also offers a series of riders such as the PRUExtra to further supplement the PRUShield plan.
The PRUPersonal Accident insurance plan is meant to supplement your main health insurance, offering you worldwide coverage from accidents, public transport accidents, food poisoning, infectious diseases, animal and insect bites, and more. Benefits include daily cash payouts in the event you are hospitalised or admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), family support funds, transportation reimbursements. PRUPersonal Accident covers Hand, Foot, Mouth Disease (HFMD), dengue, and more common infectious diseases (excluding COVID-19).
Prudential offers 13 types of life insurance plans, spanning the PRUActive Life, PRUActive Term, PRUVital Cover for pre-existing medical conditions, PRULife Multiplier Flex for your family, PRULink Enhanced Protector II for investment-linked coverage, PRUTerm Ascend for terminal illness and death coverage, PRUProtect Term which you can purchase directly online without an insurance agent, whole life PRUProtect Life, PRULife Vantage Achiever Prime, PRUFirst Promise, PRUMum, and the PRUFirst Gift for your childbirth.
Prudential offers 3 types of mortgage insurance plans, namely the PRUMortgage Refund Premier which protects your mortgage liability with a single premium payment and guarantees coverage for any remainder mortgage loan in the event of the assured individual's death; PRUMortgage Refund offers a lump-sum payout with regular annual premium payments to cover any remainder mortgage in the event of the assured's death; PRUMortgage offers you and your spouse to jointly insure your house's mortgage with 2 different policies with regular premium payments.
Prudential offers 6 different types of critical illness insurance plans – the PRUActive Protect is a flexible plan that allows you to customise your coverage to provide you with a lump-sum payout in the event of a diagnosis of the 37 critical illnesses; PRUCancer 360 is an affordable cancer plan providing multi-stage cancer coverage; PRUTriple Protect offers you income replacement for medical treatment expenses in the event of a critical illness diagnosis; PRULady offers coverage for 12 female-specific illnesses as such cancers of the breast, ovaries, uterus, polycystic ovarian syndrome, and more; PRUMan offers coverage for 4 male-specific illnesses such as prostate, colon, testicle cancers, muscular dystrophy, and more; PRUEarly Stage Crisis Cover offers you coverage for a wide range of critical illnesses in its early stages.
There are 23 insurance plans across Prudential that comes with coverage and benefits for disabilities, such as the PRUActive Life, PRUActive Term PRUActive Protect, PRUVital Cover, PRUCancer 360, PRULife Multiplier Flex, PRULink Enhanced Protector II, PRUTerm Ascend, PRUProtect Term, PRUTriple Protect, PRUPersonal Accident, PRUProtect Life, PRULife Vantage Achiever Prime, PRUMortgage Refund Premier, PRUMortgage Refund, PRUFirst Promise for your child, PRUMum, PRUMortgage, PRULady, PRUMan, PRUFirst Gift for your child, and the PRUEarly Stage Crisis Cover.
There are 3 Prudential retirement plans, namely the PRUActive Retirement savings plan designed to offer you a stable income amidst market instability, PRUGolden Retirement to provide you with a regular stream of income for retirement and lump-sum upon maturation, and the PRUGolden Retirement Premier to provide you with a regular monthly income with a single premium payment.
Prudential offers 13 insurance plans with education coverage and benefits, namely the PRUWealth (USD), PRUFlexicash, PRUActive Retirement, PRULifetime Income, PRUSave Max Limited Pay (USD), PRUGolden Retirement, PRUWealth II (SGD), PRUGolden Retirement Premier, PRUEasy Rewards, PRUCash Secure, PRULifetime Income Premier II (SGD), and the PRULifetime Income Premier (USD).
There are 10 savings insurance plans and 5 savings insurance plans offering regular payouts. The latter includes the PRUFlexicash, PRULifetime Income, PRUCash Secure, PRULifetime Income Premier II (SGD), and the PRULifetime Income Premier (USD).
Prudential offers 4 types of investment plans, namely regular contributions, recurring lump-sum contributions, lump-sum contribution, and funds such as the PRUSelect, PRUSelect Vantage (SGD), PRULink SuperSaver account, PRULink Super Growth account, PRULink Supersaver account, PRUSelect Funds, and the PRULink Funds.
If you are a business owner of a SME with 3 to 200 employees, the PRUWorks is an integrated suite of services that you can log on to to create different plans to suit your employees' needs, including illnesses, accidents, and the submission of claims. Otherwise, you can get in touch with Prudential to customise employee benefit plans for a company (with 11 employees and above) to include Group Term Life, Group Pre-Crisis Guard, Group Hospital and Surgical Insurance, and the wellness programme, WorkPLAYce.
International Health Insurance
If you are an expat living in Singapore or China, Prudential offers international health insurance with coverage with early stage medical conditions, intermediate stage medical conditions, personal data protection,
Prudential PRUShield Integrated Shield Plan Riders
Riders are available for the PRUShield Premier and Plus plans to help reduce your out-of-pocket co-insurance costs. Prudential offers 3 riders for PRUShield Premier policyholders, namely the PRUExtra Premier CoPay, PRUExtra Preferred CoPay, and PRUExtra Lite CoPay. For PRUShield Plus policyholders, there are 2 riders available – the PRUExtra Plus CoPay and PRUExtra Plus Lite CoPay.
PRUExtra Plus CoPay
The PRUExtra Plus Copay rider will take care of 50% of your co-insurance and 95% of your deductible. It also includes benefits such as S$3,000 for alternative medicine benefit, S$3,000 for special appliances or prosthesis benefit, and ambulance benefit of S$150 per injury.
PRUExtra Premier CoPay
The PRUExtra Premier CoPay covers your medical expenses at all Singapore private and restructured hospitals. It also covers 95% of your deductibles and 50% of your co-insurance, with a S$3,000 annual limit on out-of-pocket expenses if you go to a Panel Provider. It can only be added to PRUShield Premier only and it comes with access to PRUPanel Connect.
PRUExtra Premier Lite CoPay
The PRUExtra Premier CoPay Lite rider covers 50% of your deductible and 50% of your co-insurance. However, it does not offer benefits such as parental accommodation, alternative treatment nor prosthesis benefits.
PRUExtra Plus Lite CoPay
The PRUExtra Plus Lite CoPay covers 50% of your deductibles (up to S$1,750 per policy year) and half of your co-insurance. However, it does not offer benefits such as parental accommodation, alternative treatment nor prosthesis benefits.
PRUExtra Preferred CoPay
PRUExtra Preferred CoPay is similar to the other riders available for PRUShield Premier plans and extends its medical expenses coverage to private hospitals. It covers 95% of your deductible and 50% of your co-insurance. If you visit one of Prudential’s panel providers, there is an annual limit of S$3,000 on your out-of pocket costs.
How to apply for your Health Insurance plan
Applying for a Health Insurance plan through MoneySmart
Answer Some Questions
Don't have time to compare all the different health insurance plans in Singapore for foreigners? Answer some questions and let our intelligent system find the best health insurance plan for you.
Speak To Our Insurance Specialists
After you submit your quiz, our expert insurance specialist team members may drop you a call to clarify your needs and explain your options to you. Seize this chance to ask our friendly colleagues the burning questions you may have about health insurance!
Apply And Purchase Your Health Insurance
Once you have spoken to our insurance specialists, considered your options, and planned your finances, you are ready to apply for your health insurance plan online through our portal.
Prudential Health Insurance Claims
What is the Claim Process?
Download the Prudential Claim Form
Head to the Prudential website to download pdf versions of the relevant claim forms for your claim. The claim submissions are divided into various sections – such as hospital treatments, emergency medical treatments, pre- and post-hospitalisation treatments, and more. Within each of these sections, you will also find a list of other necessary supporting documents you will need to prepare to submit your claim.
Submit your completed claim forms along with supporting documents through your Prudential insurance agent or financial consultant, or via the Prudential customer service centre. Alternatively, you can mail the forms and documents to the Prudential office. For hospitalisation claims, you can submit your claims electronically at your hospital of choice by filling up the hospital-provided claim forms for your MediSave-approved Integrated Shield Plan (IP) and riders.
Compare health insurance plans now
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Prudential PRUShield payable by MediSave?
- Yes, like all other Integrated Shield Plans, the Prudential PRUShield insurance plan's premiums are payable by MediSave. If you are using your MediSave to pay for your Integrated Shield Plan (IP), do note that there are Additional Withdrawal Limit – you can only use S$300 from your MediSave to pay for your IP if you are 40 years old or younger (on your next birthday), S$600 if you are aged 41 to 70, and S$900 if you are 71 years and above. Also, you can only have 1 Integrated Shield Plan at any one time.
Does the premiums of the Prudential PRUShield increase with age?
- Yes, as with all health insurance plans, your premiums will increase with age due to the increased probability of health conditions and medical services expenses' continual inflation. For Prudential's PRUShield, premiums start from S$245 for ages 26 to 30, S$327 for ages 31 to 40, S$654 for ages 41 to 50, S$1,052 for age 51, and so on for the Premier private hospitals plan.
Can I get multiple Prudential Integrated Shield Plans to increase my coverage?
- No, in Singapore, you are only allowed to have 1 Integrated Shield Plan at any given point in time to supplement your MediShield Life plan, regardless of which insurance company you are insured by.
Is the quoted premium an additional amount I have to pay besides my MediShield Life plan?
- It depends – some insurers present their Integrated Shield Plan premiums with MediShield Life premiums included to give you an overview of the price. Some insurance companies, however, split up both the premiums of MediShield Life and their Integrated Shield Plans' premiums in separate columns. Do check the fine print of the premiums table to check if MediShield Life's premiums have been included. If you are browsing the Prudential PRUShield brochures online and are looking at the premiums listed in the brochure, Prudential has split up the payments for MediShield Life and their PRUShield plans' premiums into separate columns for clarity.