Raffles Health Insurance
Raffles Insurance is provided by Raffles Medical Group – the latter founded 1976 in Singapore and has since expanded to 14 cities, including China, Japan, Vietnam and Cambodia. Raffles Medical Group is listed on the Singapore Exchange SGX (SGX: BSL).
What you should know about Raffles Health Insurance
Raffles Health Insurance Plans
Raffles Shield Plan Types
|RAFFLES SHIELD PLANS||HOSPITAL WARDS||ANNUAL COVERAGE LIMIT|
|Raffles Shield Private||All private hospitals and wards in public restructured hospitals||S$1,500,000 (for panel hospitals)|
S$600,000 (for non-panel hospitals)
|Raffles Shield A||Class A ward in public restructured hospitals and below. Option to add the "Raffles Hospital Option" to your plan to access wards in Raffles Hospital||S$600,000|
|Raffles Shield B||Class B1 ward in public restructured hospitals and below||S$300,000|
|Raffles Shield Standard||Class B1 ward in public restructured hospitals and below||S$150,000|
What is Raffles Shield?
Raffles Shield is a fairly new Integrated Shield Plan (IP) launched in 2018 by the Singapore-based Raffles Medical Group offering competitive premiums relative to the coverage it provides. Benefits of Raffles Shield includes coverage for hospitalisation, pre- and post-hospitalisation treatments, and additional benefits such as accidental inpatient dental treatments. A key feature of Raffles Shield would be the optional add-on "Raffles Hospital Option" which allows the Raffles Shield A policyholders to extend their hospitalisation and ward access to include private hospital wards in Raffles Hospital – an affordable option for policyholders to enjoy private hospitalisation access.
Raffles Shield Coverage
All 4 Raffles Shield plans offer you coverage for inpatient hospitalisation ward, Intensive Care Unit (ICU), MediShield-approved surgeries, community hospital stays, outpatient chemotherapy, radiotherapy, kidney dialysis, and more.
Raffles Shield Premium
Raffles Shield's premiums start from S$218 for ages 21 to 25, S$221 for ages 26 to 30, S$339 for ages 31 to 35, S$342 for ages 36 to 40, S$537 for ages 41 to 45, and so on for the Raffles Shield Private plan.
Raffles Key Rider
You can choose to add the Raffles Key Rider to your Raffles Shield to reduce your co-payment to the legal minimum of 5%, and you will not need to bear the deductibles.
Why choose Raffles Shield?
Raffles Shield Exclusions
- While Singapore citizens and Permanent Residents (PRs) are eligible for all types of the Raffles Shield plans, foreigners living in Singapore are only eligible for the Raffles Shield Private plan.
Hospitals, Clinics, and Specialists
- No matter which Raffles Shield plan you are on – whether you are covered for private or public hospitalisation stays – your treatments have to be sought at one of the MediShield Life-approved hospitals, clinics, specialists, centres, or laboratories for your treatment to be eligible for claims.
- Whether you are on the Raffles Shield Private, A, B, or Standard, your coverage for surgeries only extends to procedures that are listed in Table 1A to Table 7C of the “Table of Surgical Procedures” published by the Ministry of Health (MOH), and excludes minor surgical procedures.
Community Hospital Stay
- Your community hospital stay will only be eligible for coverage and claims if you are immediately transferred to an approved community hospital from your hospitalisation stay at a public restructured hospital or private hospital which you have filed claims for with your Raffles Shield (and have been approved).
- Your pre-hospitalisation treatments will only be eligible for claims if you actual hospitalisation stay was first approved for claims.
- If you are a Raffles Shield Private policyholder, any pre-hospitalisation treatments filed within 180 days prior to your hospital admission will only be claimable if your pre-hospitalisation specialist is a Raffles Panel Specialist and was your attending specialist while you were hospitalised.
- If you are a Raffles Shield Private or A policyholder, the 365 days coverage for any post-hospitalisation treatments excludes psychiatric treatments. Any inpatient psychiatric treatments sought within 90 days after your discharge will be covered under the "Inpatient Psychiatric Treatment" benefit.
Living Donor Organ Transplant
- Whether you are a Raffles Shield Private, A, or B policyholder, you can only utilise your living donor organ transplant 24 months after your policy start or policy reinstatement date. Any living donor organ transplants before 24 months will not be eligible for claims.
Pregnancy Complications Benefit
- This benefit is only eligible for claims if you were hospitalised due to these 6 complications: ectopic pregnancy, pre-eclampsia or eclampsia, disseminated intravascular coagulation, miscarriage, choriocarcinoma and hydatidiform mole, or postpartum haemorrhage requiring hysterectomy. All other pregnancy complications are excluded.
Breast Reconstruction after Mastectomy
- The breast reconstruction treatment must done within 12 months from your mastectomy due to breast cancer.
Emergency Overseas Medical Treatment
- You will still be subject to pro-ration if you were admitted into a ward higher than your Raffles Shield plan's entitled ward class.
Raffles Shield Summary
Raffles Shield is Raffles Health Insurance's flagship hospitalisation plan. It is a MediShield-approved Integrated Shield Plan (IP) – meant to supplement the mandatory MediShield Life health insurance plan provided for Singaporeans and Permanent Residents (PRs) by Singapore's Ministry of Health (MOH).
There are 4 types of Raffles Shield plans – Private, A, B, and Standard – with incremental coverage for private and public hospitals wards in Singapore.
- High S$1.5 million annual coverage limit (for the Private plan)
- Lifetime renewability
- Full coverage for wards, Intensive Care Unit (ICU), surgeries, community hospital stays, inpatient psychiatric treatments, accidental inpatient dental treatment, outpatient kidney dialysis, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, erythropoietin, pre- and post-hospitalisation treatments, organ transplants, pregnancy complications, and more.
Raffles Shield's premiums start from S$218 for ages 21 to 25, S$221 for ages 26 to 30, S$339 for ages 31 to 35, S$342 for ages 36 to 40, S$537 for ages 41 to 45, and so on for the Raffles Shield Private plan and can be paid by MediSave (subject to Additional Withdrawal Limits).
All Raffles Health Insurance Plans
Raffles Shield is Raffles Health's flagship health insurance plan in Singapore. Raffles Shield is an Integrated Shield Plan (IP) that is meant to supplement your MediShield Life provided by Singapore's Ministry of Health for Singaporeans and Permanent Residents (PRs). You will find Integrated Shield Plans (IPs) provided by most major insurance providers in Singapore and they commonly serve to increase your annual medical claim limits and the range of wards you can receive medical treatments in public restructured and private hospitals. There are 4 types of Raffles Shield plans, namely the Raffles Shield Standard, Raffles Shield B, Raffles Shield A, and the comprehensive Raffles Shield Private for incremental limits on medical coverage and access to a wider range of wards across public restructured and private hospitals.
Raffles Worldwide Health Options
The Raffles Worldwide Health Options is a customisable international health insurance provided by Raffles Health in collaboration with the London-based insurance group, Bupa Global. The plan starts with a core hospitalisation module, and can be built to meet your needs and preferences, such as outpatient benefits, health assessments, worldwide medical coverage which includes specialists' and doctor's fees, worldwide medical evacuation, and worldwide wellbeing which includes health screenings, dental, and optical needs.
The Raffles Lifeline international health insurance is provided by Raffles Health Insurance in collaboration with the London-based insurance group, Bupa Global. There are 3 types of Raffles Lifeline plans, namely the Essential which provides you with basic emergency or planned hospitalisation stays, inpatient and day surgeries, eligible cancer treatments, and advanced imaging. Raffles Lifeline Classic offers you coverage for specialist medical treatments, inpatient hospital stays, outpatient consultations, treatments, including physiotherapy, and health screenings. The Raffles Lifeline Gold is the most comprehensive of all 3, offering coverage for consultants, specialist, and family doctors, inpatient and outpatient treatments, prescribed medications, preventive health checks, and maternity coverage.
What types of insurance does Raffles Health offer?
Raffles Health offers 4 categories of insurance plans for individuals and businesses, spanning health insurance plans such as the Integrated Shield Plan (IP), international health insurance, international medical coverage for your company, oil and gas, maritime industries, customised group insurance, foreign workers' insurance plans, and more.
Types of Insurance offered by Raffles Health
Raffles Health Insurance offers one health insurance plan, called the Raffles Shield – an Integrated Shield Plan (IP) meant to supplement your MediShield Life health insurance plan provided by Singapore's Ministry of Health for Singaporeans and Permanent Residents (PRs). All Raffles Shield plans will grant you coverage when you are hospitalised in public restructured hospitals, Raffles Shield A will offer you access to Raffles Hospital as well, while Raffles Shield Private offers you access to all private hospitals in Singapore.
2International Health Insurance
If you are relocating abroad as an expat, Raffles Health offers 2 types of international health insurance plans – namely the modular and customisable Raffles Worldwide Health Insurance which allows you to start from a core hospitalisation plan and build your coverage with add-ons, and the Raffles Lifeline which comes in either Essential, Classic, or Gold with incrementally comprehensive medical coverage in Singapore and abroad.
3International Medical Cover
If you are a business owner, Raffles Health offers international health coverage worldwide for your employees and their family members with the Raffles Company Essential, Classic, Gold, or Gold Superior plans for incremental medical coverage. If you are in the oil and gas industries, Raffles Health's oil and gas international healthcare plan offers you global medical evacuation, in-patient treatment, repatriation, cancer treatments, MRI, and CT scans. If you are in the Maritime business, Raffles offers international health insurance for your crew (from 3 members onwards).
4Singapore and Regional Medical Cover
If you are a business owner looking for employee healthcare and wellness benefits within Singapore or in the region, Raffles Health offers Customised Group Insurance plans to suit your employees' needs and your budget. Otherwise, there's the Raffles Corporate Care, an employee benefits plan for SMEs (with 2 employees and above) offering hospitalisation, surgical, and other medical coverage. Raffles Health's Foreign Workers Plan meets the Ministry of Manpower's mandatory insurance guidelines for Work Permit and S-Pass holders, offering S$15,000 annual medical or disability coverage. Finally, Raffles Health offers a Third Party Administration plan which is not a traditional health insurance plan but an outsourced healthcare benefits and claims system which helps you to manage your employees' healthcare needs, benefits, and claims.
Raffles Shield Plan Riders
If you are a Raffles Shield Plan policyholder, there are optional riders available for you to add on to your plan to help reduce your out-of-pocket co-insurance and deductible costs. Raffles Insurance offers 2 riders and 2 options for the Raffles Shield Plan. There are no riders nor options available for Raffles Shield Standard policyholders.
Rider 1: Raffles Key Rider
If you hold the Raffles Shield A, Raffles Shield B, Raffles Shield Private plans (and do not have the High Deductible Option), you get to choose to add the Raffles Key Rider to your plan to replace your deductibles and co-insurance with a 5% co-payment on every claim.
Rider 2: Raffles Premier Rider
If you hold the Raffles Shield A, Raffles Shield B, Raffles Shield Private plans and are looking for a rider with more benefits, consider the Raffles Premier Rider. Benefits include extra ward accommodation for an immediate family member, post-hospitalisation TCM and home care, emergency outpatient treatments due to accidents, and ambulance services.
Option 1: Raffles Hospital Option
If you are a Raffles Shield A policyholder, you get to choose to add the Raffles Hospital Option to gain access to and get 100% coverage for all wards at Raffles Hospital on top of your plan for public restructured hospitals.
Option 2: High Deductible Option
If you hold the Raffles Shield A, Raffles Shield B, Raffles Shield Private plans (and do not have the Raffles Key Rider), you get to choose to add the High Deductible Option to your plan to lower your premiums, but pay higher deductibles (around S$10,000) when you make claims.
How to apply for your Health Insurance plan
Applying for a Health Insurance plan through MoneySmart
Step 1Answer Some Questions
Don't have time to compare all the different health insurance plans in Singapore for foreigners? Answer some questions and let our intelligent system find the best health insurance plan for you.
Step 2Speak To Our Insurance Specialists
After you submit your quiz, our expert insurance specialist team members may drop you a call to clarify your needs and explain your options to you. Seize this chance to ask our friendly colleagues the burning questions you may have about health insurance!
Step 3Apply And Purchase Your Health Insurance
Once you have spoken to our insurance specialists, considered your options, and planned your finances, you are ready to apply for your health insurance plan online through our portal.
Raffles Health Insurance Claims
How Do Raffles Health Insurance Claims Work?
If you are receiving treatment at a medical facility accredited by the Ministry of Health (MOH), you can just submit your hospitalisation claim via the Electronic Claim Submission System upon your discharge at the hospital. If you sought treatment at a medical facility that is not accredited by MOH, a manual claim form must be submitted by you. You can download the claim form from the Raffles Health Insurance website, fill it up, and send it to your insurance agent or bring it to the Raffles Insurance office.
Pre and Post-Hospitalisation
If you have any pre- or post-hospitalisation treatments that are linked to your actual hospitalisation stay and diagnosis, you will need to first collate all the documents and receipts. Download the claims form from the Raffles Health Insurance website, fill it up, and submit it to your insurance advisor along with all the necessary supporting documents, such as any medical reports, inpatient discharge summary, final summary and itemised hospital bills. The list of documents you will need is stated on the claim form you would have downloaded from the Raffles Health Insurance website. Alternatively, you can submit your claims online, along with all your supporting documents attached in a zip file.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Raffles Shield payable by MediSave?
- Yes, like all other Integrated Shield Plans, the Raffles Shield insurance plan's premiums are payable by MediSave. If you are using your MediSave to pay for your Integrated Shield Plan (IP), do note that there are Additional Withdrawal Limit – you can only use S$300 from your MediSave to pay for your IP if you are 40 years old or younger (on your next birthday), S$600 if you are aged 41 to 70, and S$900 if you are 71 years and above. Also, you can only have 1 Integrated Shield Plan at any one time.
Do the premiums of the Raffles Shield increase with age?
- Yes, as with all health insurance plans, your premiums will increase with age due to the increased probability of health conditions and medical services expenses' continual inflation. For Raffles Shield, premiums start from S$218 for ages 21 to 25, S$221 for ages 26 to 30, S$339 for ages 31 to 35, S$342 for ages 36 to 40, S$537 for ages 41 to 45, and so on (for the Raffles Shield Private plan).
Can I get more than one Raffles Medical Group Integrated Shield Plans to increase my coverage?
- No, in Singapore, you are only allowed to have 1 Integrated Shield Plan at any given point in time to supplement your MediShield Life plan, regardless of which insurance company you are insured by.
Is the quoted premium an additional amount I have to pay besides my MediShield Life plan?
- It depends – some insurers present their Integrated Shield Plan premiums with MediShield Life premiums included to give you an overview of the price. Some insurance companies, however, split up both the premiums of MediShield Life and their Integrated Shield Plans' premiums in separate columns. Do check the fine print of the premiums table to check if MediShield Life's premiums have been included. If you are browsing the Raffles Shield brochures online and are looking at the premiums listed in the brochure, Raffles Health Insurance has split up the payments for MediShield Life and their Raffles Shield plans' premiums into separate columns for clarity.